Domestic violence and Injunctions

As domestic violence solicitors we are here to help and advise you in what can be a very difficult time for you. By way of background, the family courts can make orders called injunctions to stop abusive behaviour and protect you or your children. There are two different types of injunction orders:

1. An occupation order, which requires the abuser to leave your home (or part of it) or keep away from your home, or to allow you to occupy your home without being threatened, harassed or assaulted. When the court makes an occupation order it can include a power of arrest which enables the police to arrest the abuser if they break the terms of the order.

2. A non-molestation order, which orders a person to stop actual physical assaults or other sorts of intimidating and upsetting behaviour. Breach of a non-molestation order is a criminal offence.

These orders must be treated very seriously and can be enforced by police if necessary.  If you are faced with an application to leave your home or you are subject to any other injunction proceedings, you are likely to require expert advice in advance of any hearing to see where you stand and what options you have.

As domestic violence solicitors, we can support you and help you to protect yourself and your children.  We will always seek to gain a clear understanding of the issues before seeking a practical and workable solution. If you do need assistance, then please contact the National Centre for Domestic Violence.